Fifteen days after the spring construction kick-off, all 12 blocks of Nicollet are under construction, 25 percent of the concrete roadway has been paved and 30 percent of the sidewalks have been installed.
Sidewalk cafés have returned to Nicollet Mall for the outdoor dining season and pedestrians will continue to be able to use all 12 blocks of Nicollet as construction progresses. Reconstruction of Nicollet Mall, which launched in June 2016, remains on schedule and on budget.
Once complete, the new Nicollet will be elegant and durable; it will feature iconic new artwork and be a much more inviting place for pedestrians. It will also be greener and brighter with a unique “Light Walk” installation between Sixth and Eighth streets, creating a pathway of programmable lights.
Nicollet Mall Project progress report:
· Utility work is 90 percent complete as crews make the final connections at the intersections.
· Eighty percent of the old roadway has been removed.
· Reconstruction of the sidewalk is 30 percent complete.
· Reconstruction of the concrete roadway is 25 percent complete.
· Fifty percent of trees have been harvested.
· Thirty percent of bus shelter foundations have been completed.
· Six intersections are currently under construction.
· Lights and signal poles are 100 percent fabricated and in storage awaiting summer installation.
· Public art is in production and will be ready for installation beginning this summer.
The Nicollet Mall Project will be substantially complete by the end of the year. To learn more about the project and to sign up for weekly construction updates, visit NicolletMallProject.com.